一般这类助动词不需要于条件句中的if之后,然而以下状况例外。
A if you will/would常用于有礼貌的请求中,此时可用更有礼貌的形式would。
If you will/would wait a moment Ill see if Mr Jones is free.
请你稍候一会儿,我看看琼斯先生是不是有空。(请等候)
I would be very grateful1 if you would make the arrangements for me.
假如你能为我安排一下,我将不胜感激。
倘若这种需要在当时的状况下一般都会提出,已成为套话,if you would+动词原形就常常单独用。这表示说话人觉得他们理所当然会照办。
If youd fill up this form.
请填好这张表。
(in a hotel) If youd just sign the register2.
(在旅馆中)请在登记簿上签名。
(in a shop)If youd put your address on the back of the cheque.
(在商店里)请在支票的背面写下你的地址。
(in a classroom)If youd open your books.
(在教室里)请打开你们的书。
B 表示想的if+will/would适用于所有人称:
If hell listen to me Ill be able to help him.
假如他听我说,我就会帮助他。(假如他乐意听)
If Tom would tell me what he wants for his dinner Id cook it for him.
假如汤姆想告诉我他晚饭要吃那些,我就会做给他吃。(说话人的意思是说汤姆不愿告诉她。)如在这里用wont时,则意味着拒绝:
If he won t listen to me I cant help him.
假如他不愿听我的话,我就不可以帮他的忙。(假如他不愿听/假如他拒绝听)
If they wont accept a cheque well have to pay cash.
假如他们不愿同意支票大家就只能付现金。(假如他们拒收)
C Will 可以用来表示执意坚持(参见第230节B):
If you will play the drums all night no wonder the neighbours complain.
假如你必须要整夜敲鼓的话,那就难怪邻居抱怨。(如果你执意敲的话)
D if+would like/care 可以用来代替 if+want/wish,而且比后者有礼貌:
If you would like to come Ill get a ticket for you.
假如你想来,我就给你弄一张票。
If youd care to see the photographs Ill bring them round
假如你感兴趣看那些照片,我就带来。
If hed like to leave his car here he can.
假如他想把车停放在这里,他可以如此做。
但,假如改写一下句子,使 would like没宾语,就能省掉 would:
If you like Ill get a ticket for you.
假如你喜欢,我就给你弄一张票。
但说:
If youd like a ticket Ill get one for you.
(译文同上。)
If he likes he can leave his car here.
假如他想,他可以把车停放在这里。
但说:
If hed like to leave his car here he can./ He can leave it here
if hed like to.(译文同上。)
E if+should可以用于条件句种类1,用来表示动作虽大概达成但可能性不非常大。它常和祈使句结合用,而且主要用于 书面的说明中:
If you should have any difficulty3 in getting spare parts ring this number.
万一你买备件时遇见什么困难,请打这个电话号码。
If these biscuits should arrive in a damaged condition please inform the factory at once.
饼干运到时如有损毁,请立即公告本厂。
should可以坐落于句首而省略掉if:
Should these biscuits arrive
(译文同上。)
(参见第225节B。)