Staying in touch with old friends
与老友们维持联系
I recently met an old friend I hadn’t seen in ages.
我近期见了一位许久没见面的老友。
He said that he had been busy and also didn’t really know how to contact me.
他说自己过去一直非常忙,也真的不了解与我联系。
I told him the same.
我告诉我也是一样。
The truth is, we have a few mutual friends, and if we had really wanted to contact each other, we could have.
事实是,大家有一些一同的朋友,假如大家真的想联系他们,大家可以立刻联系得到。
But with busy schedules, and family life--and all sorts of things going on --well, I guess we just lost touch.
但繁忙的日程安排和家庭生活——及各种各样的事情——嗯,我想大家就失去联系了。
So, I got to thinking about the people I am in touch with now and those I’d like to contact.
所以,我开始考虑我目前联系到的人及我想联系的人。
I have a lot of friends and acquaintances,
我有不少朋友和老相识,
I used to have many more. Somewhere along the line,
我以前有更多。但适得其反,
we just lost contact with each other.
大家刚刚失去了联系。
I’d like to contact some of my friends from high school.
我想联系一些高中的朋友。
I’d like to say hello to some of the people I used to know in New York and California,
我想和一些自己过去在纽约和加利福尼亚州认识的人打个招呼,
I know I could do it.
我了解我能做到。
It wouldn’t require me to bend over backwards,
它不会让我使出浑身解数,
but I am not sure if I should.
但我不确定自己是不是应该如此做。
I mean, I have my hands full right now with family and work.
我的意思是,目前的工作和家庭已经让我分身乏术。
Plus, I have people that I am in contact with now,
另外,我目前也和一些人维持着联系,
and I fell kind of guilty that I am not able to spend more time with them.
有种罪恶感蒙上我的心头,我不能在他们身上再花更多的时间。
Who needs more guilt? Not me!
哪个需要更多的罪恶?不是我!