欢迎来到慕课网

英语美文:我怎么样从死神手中救了自己

来源:www.baobaohaoming.com 2023-06-21

OK, here's the deal.

事情是如此的。

I've just been run over by a car – been in an accident.

那时我刚刚被一辆车撞了——我出了车祸

I didn't get a good look, of course.

我却什么都没看清,这也合情合理。

It happened too quickly.

所有都发生的太快了。

A step off the sidewalk, a rush of wind, something blue and metallic coming at me, then…

刚刚踏出人行道,我就感到一阵强风,一个蓝色的,好像是某种金属的东西朝我猛冲过来

a quick tour over the bonnet , briefly visiting the windshield, roof and every other hard surface en-route

接着街旁的所有从我眼前飞快的闪过,络绎不绝的烟囱罩、挡风玻璃、屋顶,还有其他各种东西都在飞快的流逝。

before returning to the tarmac for a hefty dose of pain.

最后我回到地面上,一阵剧痛传遍全身。

No, officer, the vehicle did not sTOP.

不,警官,那辆车没停下来

Did I see the driver?

看到司机的脸了吗?

Yep, incredibly briefly as it turned out.

是的,真不可思议,虽然只不过一晃眼。

(假如这个时候有一位交警走过来,大家之间或许会有如下的对话)

Would I recognise him again?

能再认出司机吗?

Sure, if you could just plaster me across any similar windshield,

能,假如你让我再撞到类似的挡风玻璃上

just to, you know, jog the old memory cells

你了解,如此就能激活旧的记忆细胞

I may be able to describe the bloated, shiny face, bulbous eyes

可能我能描述出那张浮肿的,油光满面的脸,那双凸出来的双眼,

and pudgy little hands that oiled over his steering wheel.

还有那双胖乎乎的小手,抹得方向盘上油光光的

Except there's no cop, no concerned huddle of passers-by asking pointless questions

可是当时周围没交警,也没围观的人群絮絮地说着毫无意义的问题,

like "Is there a Doctor here?" Or "Where's his leg?" and, my personal favourite, "Are you OK?"

譬如“这里有大夫吗?”“他的腿到哪里了?”还有我最喜欢的问题,“你还怎么样?”

Well, if pity and an energising drink weren't going to help me, I had better start trying to help myself.

好吧,假如怜悯和功能饮料帮不了我,我最好开始尝试帮助我一个人。

My core being was feeling a tad fragile at the moment but I made a mental note to ask it to start working properly again.

此刻我感到自己元神亏损,我暗自请求我们的身体重新运作起来

What I really needed just now was something useful,

目前我需要一些好用的东西

a medic for preference, a warm, dry blanket and some kind of opioid-based medication.

——最好能有一个大夫,或者一条温暖干燥的毛毯,一剂含有镇痛成分的药品

But it was the very early hours of the morning

可目前才一大清早

and there was no-one around,

人迹绝无

at least not here on the edge of No-town

在这无名之镇的边界上

I was gonna die.

我要去世了!

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

事后聪明真是一种美妙的东西

Just a few short hours ago I had left Mrs Chamber's house and the smouldering embers of her log fire.

就在几个小时前,我才从Chambers夫人家离开,从她家火炉里冒出的浓烟中捡回一条命

If I hadn't taken that short-cut,

假如我没走那条捷径

or I had left earlier or left later,

又或者我曾早点或晚点出发

I wouldn't have met this very car at this particular time

我就不会在这个时刻撞上这辆车

and in this unpromising place.

在这个让人绝望的地方

And here I was.

事已至此,我躺在这里

Still.

事后检讨并没什么用途

Getting colder and dying by centimetres.

我感到愈加冷

The can of fizzy drink, my silent companion, gleamed dully

恍惚间我看到一个汽水罐子,好似一个沉默的小伙伴,暗暗闪着光

I frowned stupidly at the can, then realised what it was: an approaching vehicle .

我皱眉看着这个傻里傻气的罐子,转而意识到,它其实是一辆挨近的汽车

I thankfully passed out

感谢老天,我晕了过去

I came to briefly and looked up at a small ring of faces.

意识偶然恢复的时候,我看到几张脸环绕着我

My rescuer was one of the boys from the park and his friends.

“伙计,你还怎么样?”说话的是个小孩子,他和他的朋友们都在场。

Well, I recovered eventually.

好吧,最后我痊愈了。

For a time, I was a local celebrity, my young friend a hero.

一时之间,我成了当地名人,救我的小友人成了英雄

I can't say I 'saved' the town because,

我不敢妄称自己“拯救”了这个小镇

quite honestly, nothing short of a direct hit by a meteorite could have done that.

坦白的说,我可不是什么从天而降的陨石里诞生的超人

But some small things changed.

可是我还是带来了一些微小的变化

There was a new purpose and energy to the place.

这个荒凉的地方获得了新的关注,生出了新的活力,

The road upon which I had nearly died was given a makeover of lighting and a safe place to cross.

那条差点要了我的命的公路装上了新路灯,焕然一新,还多了一条新的安全的斑马线

相关文章推荐

08

16

|人往高处走

What did you want to be when you were growing up? A teacher? A doctor? An astronaut? What do you need to do to achieve y

08

16

|Youth 青春

Youth A Poem by Samuel Ullman青春塞缪尔厄尔曼(王佐良 译)Youth is not a time of life; it is a state of mind; it is not a matter of ro

08

16

|外国网友的一些shower thoughts

| 1 |When youre a kid, you dont realize youre also watching your mom and dad grow up.你小的时候意识不到自己也在看着(年轻的)爸爸妈妈成长。| 2 |It

08

16

|为何聪明人话都少?

Why are some very smart people so quiet?为何有的聪明人非常安静?Smart people are quiet because they are smart, very smart, and supre

08

14

英语美文:幸福是一段旅程

We always convince ourselves that life will be better after we get married, have a baby, then another. Then we are frust

08

13

有关运动的英语文章

现在,高中生举行有关课后activities.there不一样的建议是两个完全不一样的phenomenonena。 有的学生对体育和其他一些activities.they加入花不少时间在户外活动的疯狂和不同群体,而且,作出新的friends

08

13

英语美文:换个角度看世界 叫你独一无二

有时候你只须是想一试,大家都可以做到甘地和德兰修女那种地步。记者将这十种方法对你说,相信只须你在日常合理运用,必然会有所得。

08

13

英语美文:天天早上都该告诉我们的8件事

8 Things You Should Tell Yourself Every Day in The Morning!天天早上都该告诉我们的8件事“早上好!”是天天都在说的话,但你是什么感觉呢?你真的感觉天天早上都非常不错?为了更好、更快乐

08

11

霍金现身英国奥斯卡 众星排队求见

There may have been a glittering array of Hollywood stars at the BAFTAs on Sunday night, but the man everyone wanted to

08

07

英语美文摘抄:英语美文摘抄别样的青春

Man’s Youth 别样的青春By Thomas WolfeMan's youth is a wonderful thing: it is so full of anguish and of magic and he never com