此语本义指合计为,在日常多用喻义,即总括起来意味着。在用中应注意与add up一词有什么区别。add up本指把 加起来,其喻义为言之有理,说得通,如:The facts just dont add up.
A: The cashier said he had locked the safe before he left. 出纳说他走时把保险柜锁上了。
B: But how did the money disappear from it if it was locked? 假如锁上了那钱如何没的?
A: I just wonder 我只不过奇怪
B: What do you think it all adds up to? 你想这所有意味着什么?
A: It adds up to the fact that we have been cheated. 意味着大家让人骗了。
agree to differ 求同存异
agree to differ指的是各自保留不认可见,意即求同存异。
A: What do you mean? 你的意思是?
B: Considering the major contracts they might give us, I overlooked1 the small loss. 考虑到他们可能与大家签订大宗合同,小小的损失我就忽视不计了。
A: So you agreed to differ? 所以你就求同存异?
B: Thats right. 没错。
all told 合计;总之
此语原义为总计,合计,引申为总之。如:All told,it was a great credit to them.
A: How many people attended todays meeting? 有多少人参加了今天的会议?
B: There were seventeen of us at the meeting, all told. 一共有十七个人。
A: Issue an announcement that if somebody doesnt attend meeting next time, his or her bonus will be deducted2. 发布一则公告,就说假如有人下一次不参加会议,他或她的奖金全扣。
all wet 搞错了
wet原义为湿的,引申为某人没经验。All wet多见于美国俚语,意为大错特错。
A: I made a reservation two days ago. My name is David Johnson. 我前天在这儿预约了房间,我叫戴维约翰逊。
B: Reservation? What do you mean? 预约?的意思是?
A: I booked a single room here for tonight. 我订了一间今晚的单人房。
B: Oh! Youre all wet, actually. This is not a hotel. The hotel is the building across the road. 哦,你搞错了。这不是旅馆,旅馆是路对过的那座楼。